You know who works with a coach?
Top athletes. The best musicians. A-list Hollywood stars.
So do moms, single people new looking for a date, and even business owners.
Yet for years I was reluctant to invest in coaching for my own business. I didn’t want to “spend the money,” and frankly, I thought I could simply learn this stuff on my own. After all, that’s what Google is for, right?
Well it turns out having a coach has had an incredibly positive impact on my business and my productivity. It’s helped me focus my energy, create new products, add a podcast to my content lineup, and yes, make more money.
8 Benefits Coaching Brings to My Business
- Accountability – Left to my own devices, I’m more likely to take a nap or binge watch the Walking Dead than write a new blog post. Client work is – naturally – at the top of my to-do list, but my own marketing and product creation efforts fall somewhere south of cleaning out the fridge. Maybe you can relate? My coach helps keep me on track by remembering when I said I would do and following up with me about the results. Nothing like a little pressure to keep me moving in the right direction!
- A new set of eyes – If you’ve ever tried to proofread your own writing (just don’t) then you know how difficult it can be to see the faults when you’re too close to a project. Just like those silly typos, I am often unable to see that a sales page doesn’t make sense, or that a product or package needs some clarity. My coach looks at things objectively, and point out simple changes that make a huge difference.
- Pushing you further – We all like our comfort zones. They are, um, comfortable, and most of us will gladly stay right there. My coach suggests ways for me to step out of that zone just a little bit, and it almost always benefits my business – even though it feels pretty awkward at the time.
- Plenty of encouragement – My family and offline friends have no idea what I do. Even my husband doesn’t really understand marketing and email lists and client retention. But my coach does, and she “gets it” when I’m having an off day, or when I need a little pick-me-up. It’s nice to have someone in my corner who understands the ups and downs of running a business.
- Goal clarity – I struggle with this, quite honestly. While I don’t suffer (much) from shiny object syndrome, I do wander off track from time to time, and it’s mostly because I’m simply not clear where I’m going. My coach helps me see the short and long-term vision, so I can stop wasting time on side-trips that don’t move me closer to my goals.
- Prioritizing projects – I’ve got a list of “someday” projects a mile long, and it’s tough to choose the next right one to work on. My coach can take one look at that list and – because she’s not emotionally tied to any of them – pick the next logical choice and help me get moving on that.
- Pointing out my weak spots – No one loves to have her weaknesses pointed out – least of all me – but it can do wonders for your business. My coach is not too shy to gently let me know where I’ve got some work to do (ahem, blogging and podcasting with more consistency, maybe?), and with a dose of accountability thrown in, that can turn into better habits and a healthier business.
- Shortening the learning curve – No matter what business you’re in, there are a whole lot of moving parts to manage. Customer service, shopping carts, invoicing, marketing…the list goes on. While no one person knows everything, I’m working with a coach who’s been where I am and she just gets it. The advice she gives me and the tips she shares help me to move forward much faster than I could ever do on my own.
I’m thrilled with the progress I’ve made so far with my coach, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year brings. I’m on a one-year coaching plan, so come January, I’ll be re-evaluating and perhaps looking to up-level my coaching even more. I’ll keep you posted on the progress!
Meanwhile, if you’re thinking of investing in a coach for your business, I invite you to take a look at my new coaching bundle offer. I’m including access to my most popular course in addition to one-on-one coaching from me, plus I’ve discounted the price for fast action takers. I only have room for 3 people at that rate, so click here to see if it’s a fit for you.